These simple steps can help prevent mosquitos from multiplying. These insects are known carriers of the West Nile Virus, a potentially serious illness. So be vigilant. April through October – weekly through summer.
- Arrange tarps to avoid puddles. Empty after it rains. Store unused tarps under cover.
- Clean gutters even in the summer.
- Screen rain barrels completely. Treat water with bacterial larvacide.
- Dispose of tires properly.
- Aerate fish ponds and fountains and stock fish in them.
- Properly maintain swimming pools. Drain covers. Clean kiddie pools weekly.
- Keep trash and litter cleaned up in your community.
- Make sure boats are stored with covers taut.
- Store flowerpots, buckets and plastic toys inside.
- Drill holes in the bottom of garbage cans and recycling cans.
- Clean bird baths weekly.
Originally printed in PMAA Magazine – August 2012.